Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thing #5--More Flickr Fun

Well, I thought I was done with Flickr, but not quite yet! It was fun to play around with the mash ups, and you can see that I spelled my name with Spell with Flickr and put it up front and center for the moment! Clockr wasn't providing any change of images today--I don't know if that is a standard thing or if something isn't working right. If I remember, I'll check it on another day. Flickr Color Pickr was fun--I'm not sure of the value of choosing images by color, except perhaps for the graphic design fields. Big Huge Labs was helpful in that it pulled all these options together into one site. Obviously, I enjoyed Spell with Flickr and it was entertaining to go through splashr and see all the different options for how your Flickr page could look. (I flirted with the postcard set-up, but went back to the plain old traditional page.) On my Flickr page I took my Tranquil Landing image, made it a jigsaw puzzle and uploaded it.

The applications might be fun to create with if one had more control over the design of the library web page. At my institution the web page design is pretty much locked down by IT--all we provide is content. These tools could certainly provide the help in designing a vibrant web page if one had free reign. I love the idea of the trading cards--as a former children's librarian I could see all sorts of possibilities in that--trading cards for favorite authors, favorite literary characters, etc. In fact, at my current library we are considering trading cards for the state governors. With all this for free, it does make me realize that interesting web creations are a possibility without too much effort.

No comments: